Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever posted so many FO’s in one month before! Don’t get used to it. It’s only because of all the small things I’ve made lately, mostly for gifts. Today’s FO however is for ME!
But then I saw THIS photo…
Ugh! It wasn’t until I managed to photograph my own head that I could really see what the decreases looked like at the crown. They looked like crap. How could that be? Because I didn’t do the math.
I made this hat from sport weight, not Aran weight as the pattern called for. I added one additional pattern repeat to compensate. When it came time to decrease for the crown I thought that I’d have to add an additional 4 rows somewhere to make it fit correctly. So I made up my own decrease sequence as I went along. Wrong wrong wrong! I am not more clever than Jared Flood! And if I’d done the math in the first place I would have calculated that I only needed to add 2 rows, and that I could easily do that, without screwing with the design, if I added them at the very end. After all, making a circle decreasing by the same % as in the original directions will work just fine. It’s just a ratio after all.
Last night I frogged back to where the decreases began and this time followed the 10 row decrease instructions through row 9, then did an extra *k1tbl, p1* row, then row 10, then repeated row 10 again. Perfect. Have a look now:
A colleague of mine took this photo for me at lunch time. I really love this hat, and it was really fun to make too. DB says I look like a cancer patient in it because, well, I have really short hair and this hat makes me look bald. I’ll have to make an effort to pull some hair out around my forehead. I tried it on another colleague at work and on her it looked really cute. She has hair.
Anyway, lesson learned. Do the math and don’t try to be too clever!