Sunday: Running Week in Review – Eureka!

I have to say, putting this down “officially” in the blog is an incentive to actually run.  Funny to find out which things make a difference to your silly mind.  I’ve updated the chart on the Training page for this last week and I’m quite happy with the results!

Wednesday morning I wanted to do a short fast run, which as it turns out, my body was happy to do.  I ran around our neighborhood in a big loop which I was hoping would be 3 km.  It turned out to be only 2.8, but it was good enough.  I ran as fast as I could keep up doing for that long which turns out to be the fasted I’ve ever run.  My legs felt great, but the lungs!  I was giving them a real workout and with all the pollen in the air I came back wheezing and coughing.  I think I’ll have to do this kind of speed workout more often.

Oh yeah, I should mention that my weekday runs are done before work, meaning that the alarm goes off at 6 and I’m out the door by 25 after 6.  DB thinks I’m insane.  It works for me though.  I can’t run after work.  I’m finished by then and have no energy left for running.  

Friday morning, bright and early, I ran 4.8 km.  I only intended to run 4 but the best turn around point was farther than it should have been.  Friday’s run was tough.  My legs felt like lead.  DB insists this is because I start out too early.  Maybe it’s more likely because I was hungry.  I’ll have to figure out a better routine.  Anyway, I survived.

Given Friday’s not so great run, I didn’t have very high hopes for today’s 7 km goal.  Last night before bed I took Ibuprofen because my legs were still achey and I have to say that really helped.  I woke up this morning without pain in my legs.  DB suggested I bike to the edge of the dunes, where we came out from our bike ride to the beach last Monday, and start running from there.  From that point it’s 5.5 km to the beach, and I knew I wouldn’t run that far, but I could run out 3.5 and turn around and run back.  Sounded like a good plan to me.

It is sunny and warm today and I wanted to start well before noon.  I’m afraid of too much sun.  I don’t do well in heat.  I think it was about 10 am when I left the house (after eating breakfast).  The place where you head into the dunes has a sport complex just in front with several hockey, football and baseball fields in front.  There was a kids hockey tournament going on, which I stopped and snapped a photo of:

I parked my bike and left my water bottle in my bike saddlebag (fietstas).  Off I went!  

It was GREAT!  I don’t know what happened between Friday and today, but my legs felt good, my lungs felt good and everything was working well.  I am a new enough runner that I still don’t take these kinds of “good run” days for granted.  I always end a good run kind of shocked and amazed.  I can actually DO this!  It’s still hard to believe.

And the dunes?  I LOVE running in the dunes.  I turned off the bike path pretty early in the run onto a foot path that goes through mostly stands of trees.  After about 1.5 km of that the trees taper off and you are left with the thorny scrub.  Here’s a photo of that transition zone:

At just about my turn around distance there was a big hill to climb.  I kept running.  Whew!  At the top of the hill I could see that I was still pretty far from the beach and it was time to turn around anyway.  But at least I know that eventually I will get there.

What did I learn today?  

  • You just never can tell how your body will be on any given day.  Just go with it.
  • The iPhone camera really is crap and just wishing it was better won’t make it so.  If you really want decent photos, take a small camera (which will be in addition to my iPhone because it feels safer to run with a phone, just in case). 
  • 7 km on a sunny day is the limit for running without liquids.  I had a liter waiting for me at the end of the run, but I would have been happier with some water earlier. 

I think that this coming week I will do the same distance during the week and go up to 8.5 next Sunday.  That will put me in really good shape for the 10 km in 2 weeks.  I’m on my way!

2 thoughts on “Sunday: Running Week in Review – Eureka!

  1. Cybèle June 1, 2009 / 14:36

    Gosh you’re doing well!
    I didn’t go running for a week – I always come over to Holland with my running stuff and very good intentions, but somehow I never get out (which is a shame, as my dad lives in Rhenen where there are lots of lovely places to run). I went again this morning and didn’t know what to expect. My legs were heavy but I did 22 mins without a stitch – my body’s getting used to it. I think we may up the routine to 24 mins on Wednesday…
    And yes, I bring my phone too. Ten years ago we wouldn’t have had a phone to bring with us and not really thought about it, but I know what you mean – I feel uncomfortable without it. Plus, I use the radio on mine to listen to while running.

  2. marieke June 3, 2009 / 09:26

    wish I had dunes like that around here. We only have weiland and wind, wind, and more wind here in Leeuwarden Friesland. Keep up the good work training for your 10k!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.