I realized when I went to Ravelry to update this project that I had started it in DECEMBER. I thought I had started in January. No wonder it seems like a long work in progress. But now it’s done!

The pattern is “Sandstone Peak” by Irina Anikeeva. I knit it Cascade 220 Worsted Heathers, in color Galaxy. I knit is per the pattern EXCEPT, and this is a big exception, I knit it in pieces and seamed them together. This required a lot of notes and calculations to keep the sleeve/body decreases correct, but it all worked out.

I used 9 buttons. I hate a sweater that gapes open. When it came time to make the buttonholes I first made a test one by knitting the first row as written in the pattern, then knitting a few more stitches, turning the work and working back over the buttonhole, and turning to work over it again, just to see what it would look like and how it would fit with my buttons. I’m glad I did because the buttonholes were way too small and not very neat. I couldn’t remember how I made good ones in the past so I pulled out my trusty Vogue Knitting bible and looked up buttonholes. They explain how to knit 4 different kinds. I chose the 1 row buttonholes which I made over 4 stitches. They are perfect! Really happy with the results

I’m really happy with everything about this sweater – the fit, the cables, the buttons, even the high collar… EXCEPT – this yarn attracts my cats’ white hair like a MAGNET. I’m constantly picking which hairs off of it. I think I will wear it outside the house most of the time.

I really enjoyed knitting this sweater and highly recommend the pattern. Sorry it took me so long to finish it and write up a post about it. Next week will be a WIP post about my ONLY remaining project in process. Working and accordion playing has taken up a lot of my time and I don’t have as much left over for crafts. I’m feeling ok about that. My job is going well, I’m loving the accordion, and the weather is warming up so I’m also doing things in the garden. I’m cultivating a well rounded life. 😀

Frog Like a Boss

Foldlines sweater, first try

In April last year I finished knitting this sweater. In 2020 I was knitting like a fiend (nothing else to do in lockdown, right?) so I finished SIX sweaters, a lap blanket, a baby blanket, six hats, a shawl and a cowl. AND I spun and plied at least 200g of lace weight yarn and knit most of a giant lace christening blanket. No wonder I wrecked my shoulder!

Anyway, the above sweater didn’t get much wear over the past year. As you can see, it has 3/4 sleeves. This was not the plan! This sweater should have had long sleeves but I ran out of yarn. And the sweater is really big on me. It measures 45″ around. It’s supposed to be boxy shaped with drop shoulders, but this was really too much. In last week’s post I talked about the decision to frog it and knit the sweater again. This week I took those balls of yarn and re-skeined them

washed them

let them dry and twisted them up, ready to go for the next sweater.

I have a total of 718 grams, counting those little ends that I’ll use if I have to. I’m going to knit Foldlines again, but in the smaller size and with long sleeves. Luckily, I didn’t wear the sweater much, and the yarn is the type of yarn anyway that doesn’t pill very much. I really don’t have to worry about reusing this yarn at all – it’s in perfect shape as if it’s never been used or worn.

I can’t say the same for another sweater that I frogged earlier this year. This sweater was knit with Madelinetosh 80/10/10 Worsted MCN, which is 80% Merino wool, 10% cashmere 10% nylon. It’s the softest stuff you’ll ever wear next to your skin, but also because of the content it pills like crazy.

I made this sweater in 2015 and did wear it now and then. I didn’t wear it as much as I thought I would because I didn’t like how it fit. It’s a raglan shoulder sweater but the shape of the shoulders wasn’t good on me and I was constantly pulling it up on my shoulders. It was annoying. It probably didn’t help that this yarn, along with being super soft, is super HEAVY. It’s superwash and worsted spun, so there isn’t much air between the fibers which makes it heavier than other yarns of similar diameter. I really hadn’t worn this sweater very much at all in the past couple of years. The color of the yarn is so lovely that I decided to frog it and reuse the yarn. Easier said than done!

This sweater was knit in pieces and sewn together. There were LOTS of ends to pick out and seams to rip back. It took patience and a lot of swearing to get it done. But I managed it.

In this case I caked the yarn after washing. This is hand dyed yarn so each skein is a little different from the rest and I will alternate skeins to keep the colors even throughout the next sweater. But not only do I have to consider the color of the skeins, but also for this one I have to consider the amount of pilling and wear. I matched up skeins, 2 by 2, according to color and also pilling. One “good” skein paired with one “worn/pilled” skein. The one on the bottom is the worst for pilling and I’m hoping I don’t have to use it at all. Luckily I still have 2 skeins extra from when I knit this sweater in 2015 so I’ll use those also in the new sweater and avoid the worn out skeins if possible.

For my next sweater for this yarn I think I will knit something with a lace pattern to try to lighten up the weight of it. Or maybe just plain stockinette and certainly no cables (like the first sweater) to weigh it down.

So, the moral of this story is – if you have sweaters you aren’t wearing but you love the yarn, don’t be afraid to rrrrrrripppppp (frog) them out and start again. Or give the sweater away to someone else who will love it. But don’t let it just sit in your closet gathering dust! And besides, unraveling knitting is fun and satisfying! Or maybe I’m just strange…..